Saturday, December 08, 2007

Anxious About Michigan State

I recently wrote a post asserting that the BYU basketball team may be good enough by the end of the year to make it to the Final Four. They beat the #6 team in the country, and played even with the #1 team until the very end. I also, however, stated that I anticipated some bumpiness along the way.

BYU takes on Michigan State in less than two hours today. I wish this game were a little later in the season. The Cougars have not played particularly well in wins over Portland or Weber State. I am concerned that perhaps they have not come back to the confident level of play they displayed against Louisville and North Carolina.

This team is still forging its identity. I was very pleasantly surprised to see how well they competed with the two high-ranking teams a couple of weeks ago. I felt they were farther along than one could reasonably expect.

Do I think BYU is capable of beating the Spartans? Yes, certainly. But I will not be surprised if they come up a little short today. I hope I am wrong, and that Dave Rose is an even better coach than I have already seen.

No comments: